St Margaret Mary Alacoque received a series of revelations from Jesus beginning on the 27th of December 1673, which continued for 18th months. These revelations were given to promote devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which had already been present in the Church from the 13th century. These revelations were at first rejected by her Mother Superior in the convent of the Sisters of the Visitation at Paray- le Monial, France. Jesus asked her to promote the First Friday Devotion. This was to receive Holy Communion on each First Friday of the month and that the nine Fridays must be consecutive and they must be made in honour and in reparation to His Sacred Heart.
12 Promises of the Sacred Heart to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will give peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- I will be their refuge in life and especially in death.
- I will abundantly bless all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise speedily to great perfection.
- I will bless those places wherein the image of my Sacred Heart shall be exposed and venerated.
- I will give to priests the power to touch the most hardened hearts.
- Persons who propagate this devotion shall have their names eternally written in my Heart.
- In the excess of the mercy of my heart, I promise you that my all powerful love will grant to all those who will receive Communion on the First Fridays, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance: they will not die in my displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments; and my Heart will be their secure refuge in that last hour.